Armed Citizen Reports


Homeowner foils burglary attempt, holds suspect at gunpoint

The Escambia County Sheriff's Office said a homeowner stopped a burglary attempt by holding the suspect at gunpoint until authorities arrived on Saturday (March 25) morning.

The ECSO got a call from a female victim around 2:00 a.m., from a home at 114 Phil Road in response to a home invasion.

The female victim informed the 9-1-1 dispatcher that the suspect was still inside the residence.

When ECSO deputies arrived, they were advised by dispatch that the man who owned the home had the suspect, 37-year-old Robert Ryan Delgadillo, at gunpoint inside the residence.

When deputies entered the home, the homeowner complied with deputies' instructions and Delgadillo was on the floor face-down. Deputies took him into custody without incident.

The male homeowner told deputies he and his wife along with their children were asleep inside the residence, when they were awakened by the sound of breaking glass.

They realized someone had made unlawful entrance into their residence, so the homeowner retrieved his handgun and went into the living room. As he cocked the handgun, Delgadillo, came up from behind the sofa asking the homeowner not to shoot.

The homeowner ordered Delgadillo to lie face-down on the floor, while his wife called authorities.

Delgadillo was not known by the homeowner or his family. During the course of an investigation of the scene, deputies found an open folding knife that did not belong to the homeowner. That lead law enforcement to believe Delgadillo was armed during the home invasion.

The ECSO said Delgadillo, who is from the Brewton, Alabama area, has been charged with first-degree burglary. He is currently in the Escambia County Detention Center with a $50,000 bond on the charges from the home invasion.

Delgadillo also had a probation violation stemming from older charges.

Source: By Prescotte Stokes III | pstokes@al.comPress-Register


Local store clerk shoots would-be robber; customers escape injury

By Kelli Ann Pistokache 

WACO, Texas (KWTX) A Temple man was shot during an attempted armed robbery Friday morning in Waco but the store clerk and customers inside were not injured.

Police were sent at about midnight Friday morning to the Shisa smoke shop on Lake Air Drive near Bosque Boulevard after a caller reported a robbery and a shooting, Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said.

Swanton said officers learned at least one man walked into the store and brandished a handgun, which he fired one time into the ceiling.

The store clerk also had a handgun which he pulled out and began firing at the suspect, Swanton said.

The suspect was hit twice in the exchange of gunfire but the clerk and customers inside the store were able to escape injury.

Cedric Brown, 20, of Temple, was found lying on the floor of the shop complaining that his wounds hurt and he was taken by ambulance to Baylor Scott & White Hillcrest Medical Center.

The handgun used by the suspect was recovered at the scene and later found to be stolen.

Police also learned after confirming the suspect’s identity that he had outstanding warrants from Temple, for which he was arrested.

Additional charges in connection with the attempted aggravated robbery are pending further investigation, Swanton said.


Arlington Police Investigating Early Morning Shooting of Robbery Suspect

The Arlington Police Department responded to a report of a shooting around 6 a.m. on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 in the 6000 block of West Poly Webb Road. Officers believe that this was the result of an attempted robbery of the victim. While it is still early in the investigation, detectives believe that the victim, a man in his 20s, was jogging to a local gym in the area. The victim noticed a pickup truck that appeared to be following him and circle in front of him in a business parking lot. The victim reported that a suspect, later determined to be a juvenile, exited from the passenger side of the pickup and pointed a firearm at him while demanding his property. The victim pulled out a concealed firearm and began shooting at the suspect, striking him at least once in the leg.

 The suspect fled to the pickup truck which was later found abandoned on Cedar Cove Court and Lindberg Drive. The pickup was determined to be stolen out of Arlington on February 16, 2017. Officers received information that the suspect entered an SUV driven by an adult female. This SUV was stopped by officers at the intersection of Poly Webb Road and Little Road. The suspect was compliant and transported to the hospital for treatment. Based upon the fact that the suspect is a juvenile, no additional identifying information will be released on the suspect.

Detectives are working to determine the female’s involvement and to identify the driver of the pickup. The victim was not injured and is being interviewed.



    Home Invasion Suspect Fatally Shot By 81-Year-Old Homeowner

    By Ralph Iannotti

    UNIONTOWN (KDKA) — Police are investigating after an elderly homeowner shot and killed a home invasion suspect in Fayette County.

    According to police, the suspect was fatally wounded after he broke into the 81-year-old’s Lennox Street home early Friday morning.

    Sleeping in upstairs bedrooms at the time of the break-in was the elderly homeowner and his sister who is an invalid.

    “The man woke up to someone standing over his bed, demanding money,” Uniontown City Police Lt. Tom Kolencik said. “He described him as a man wearing all black, a mask, black gloves. A small altercation then ensued.”

    The alleged burglar was identified as Franklin Schrout, 40, of Uniontown. Officials say he has a prior criminal record of thefts.

    The homeowner picked up a .22 caliber gun, which he had nearby and fired one round. It hit Schrout in the abdomen.

    Lt. Kolencik told KDKA-TV’s Ralph Iannotti, “The [unidentified] homeowner advised [us] that he had the gun for over 30 years sitting on his nightstand and has never fired the weapon… and uses it today and it saved his life.”

    Charges are not expected to be filed against the homeowner, who police said was shaken up and sustained a few cuts and bruises in his tussle with Schrout.

    “The final say is up to the Distric Attorney, but it looks like self-defense,” Lt. Kolencik said.

    The burglary suspect managed to run out of the home after he was shot. Police said they found his body in a neighbor’s yard.


1 dead after attempted armed robbery at Circle K

AIKEN, S.C. (WJBF) – One person is dead after an attempted robbery.

It happened at a Circle K at 1925 Edgefield Highway shortly before 6:30 a.m. Thursday.

According to Captain Eric Abdullah with the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office, someone was pumping gas when a person armed with a gun approached the victim and demanded money.

The suspect has been identified as 39-year-old Steven P. Klimek of Batesburg.

Klimek also demanded the victim to get in his vehicle.

The two began fighting and the victim managed to get the suspect’s gun.

Klimek got his gun back and the victim grabbed his own firearm and shot the suspect several times.

Klimek was pronounced dead at the crime scene.

The names of the two people involved have not yet been released.


    Three arrested after grandmother foils home invasion

    By: Deidra Dukes

    COWETA COUNTY, Ga. - Two men and a woman have been arrested after grandmother with a gun thwarted an attempted burglary at her home in Coweta County, according to deputies.

    “I don’t know why they selected that house, but they picked the wrong one,” Colonel James Yarbrough from the Coweta County Sheriff's Office said.

    According to a report, Elaine Stiehl, 78, was getting ready to take a nap when she heard a noise coming from inside her home on Mount Carmel Road around 3 p.m. Friday. Stiehl loaded her gun, opened her bedroom door and saw two men standing in her hallway, the report said.

    Officials said the men were in the process of stealing furs and tools from the home, but after seeing Stiehl’s gun, the men reportedly ran out of the residence and fled in a car.

    “Neighbors were able to give us a description of the vehicle we pulled it over and took the subjects into custody,” Yarbrough said.

    John Michael O’Neal, 32, was been charged with burglary and theft by receiving stolen property.

    Thomas Allen Linder, 44, is charged with burglary and weapons possession by a convicted felon.

    The getaway driver, identified as Ann Renee Dearman, 49, was charged with burglary.

    All three remain in custody at the Coweta County Jail.


Gun-Wielding Woman Saves Husband From Armed Robbers

BY: Stephen Gutowski
September 8, 2016 4:49 pm

A Florida woman saved her husband from armed robbers last week when she pulled her own gun, shooting one intruder and scaring off two others.

Three men broke into the couple’s home on Aug. 31 in an attempt to rob them, Pasco County sheriff’s deputies told the Tamp Bay Times. Though the couple was not identified, police said the three burglars broke into their home, pointed a gun at the husband, and ordered him to lay on the ground. They then searched his pockets for his wallet.

As the robbers were focused on her husband, the wife managed to make it into her bedroom. She retrieved her gun and returned to the living room where the intruders were still searching her husband. She then pointed the gun at the intruders and ordered them to freeze.

The robbers instead ran toward the door. After two made it outside, the third turned and pointed his gun at the woman. She fired a shot at him, striking him in the shoulder.

At that point, her husband tackled the intruder and a physical struggle ensued. A neighbor helped the husband subdue the robber. The armed intruder, who police said had a stolen gun, was transported to Tampa General Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Police later identified the man as Michael Jay Shackelford Jr., 46, and charged him with home invasion and robbery with a firearm or deadly weapon. He is being held on $150,000 bond.

There were no reported injuries to the homeowners.


Police: Man, 91, shoots suspected robber in Eastpointe

A 91-year-old concealed pistol license holder shot a man who was attempting to rob him Monday in Eastpointe, according to police.

The victim was exiting his car around 10:15 a.m. and heading into the Rite Aid on Gratiot near Nine Mile when an unknown suspect in his late 20s approached, Sgt. Martin Campbell said.

“He attempted to rob (the victim) and (the victim) had a CPL and ended up shooting the suspect,” Campbell said. “It’s as simple as that.”

The would-be robber was struck in the neck and fled across Gratiot, where he was arrested by responding officers.

“Two detectives found him walking over there,” Campbell said. “He had a gunshot wound to the neck but he was talking and acting erratic.”

The erratic behavior initially prompted alarm bells for his intended target, Campbell said.

“The suspect approached and began to act erratic. (The victim) told him he had a gun, he warned him three or four times and even had the gun pointed at him,” Campbell said. “But the suspect kept coming and pointed an unknown object at the victim.”

At that point, the victim opened fire, Campbell said.

The CPL holder went to the Eastpointe police station following the incident to give his statement, Campbell said. He is cooperating with authorities, who currently are treating the incident as self-defense.

“Nothing’s ever clear cut but that’s what we’re calling it right now: an attempted robbery shooting,” Campbell said.

The suspect remained hospitalized Monday and in police custody.  (313) 223-4616


Passerby shoots, kills suspect fighting deputy on I-75

ESTERO, Fla. — A passerby shot and killed a person who was fighting with a Lee County Sheriff’s Office deputy on Interstate 75 Monday morning.

Deputy First Class Dean Bardes, a 12-year-veteran, was working a crash at mile marker 126 when the suspect came upon him, causing Bardes to pursue him at high speeds, according to multiple sources.

Bardes and the suspect exited their vehicles at the Corkscrew Road exit and a fight started, sources said. The suspect was armed, Bardes told his supervisors, according to sources.

The passerby, who had a Concealed Weapons License, exited his vehicle and told the suspect he’d shoot him if he didn’t stop beating the deputy, sources said.

After noncompliance from the suspect, the passerby shot the suspect three times, sources said. The suspect later died.

Video captured by a witness appears to show an emergency crew giving CPR in an effort to revive the suspect at the scene.

Although Bardes was crying for help, he was not shot, sources said. He was treated and released from Lee Memorial Hospital.

It was unclear whether Bardes fired his weapon.

Deputies spent part of Monday afternoon searching the median of I-75 in both directions between mile markers 126 & 127, sources said. They did not immediately say what they were searching for.

The southbound ramp at Exit 123 reopened shortly after 7 p.m. after it was closed for nearly nine hours, causing a traffic backup for several miles.

Rick Maestas witnessed the events that led up to the incident.


Homeowner shoots 2 intruders, kills 1 in Iosco County, police say

By Cole Waterman | cwaterma@mlive.comThe Bay City Times

TAWAS CITY, MI -- An apparent burglary in Tawas City went awry for two intruders, ending with one dead and another injured.

About 8:20 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 13, troopers from the Michigan State Police West Branch Post responded to a home invasion/shooting complaint in the 800 block of Fir Street. They had been dispatched after a 911 call was placed of rifle shots and a man going door-to-door with a gun, a police said in a press release.

"The initial investigation revealed the subject who was going door to door was seeking help regarding a home invasion and robbery which had just occurred in his residence," said Special 1st Lt. David Kaiser in the press release.

The 66-year-old man was in his home when two men entered, both wearing masks and brandishing hunting-type knives. The men attempted to rob him, but the resident shot them both with a rifle, Kaiser said.

One suspect, a 21-year-old Oscoda man, was dead and still wearing his mask when troopers arrived. The second suspect, a 29-year-old man also from Oscoda, received treatment for a gunshot wound on scene and then flown to a Saginaw hospital. He is expected to survive, Kaiser said.

The homeowner was not injured and is cooperating with investigators. He has not been arrested, Kaiser said.

Kaiser added it is unclear why the suspects targeted the homeowner, as there is no indication they knew each other.

The Michigan State Police Bridgeport Crime Lab responded to gather evidence and process the scene.

Once the investigation is complete, it will be submitted to the Iosco County Prosecutor's Office for review.

Police are not disclosing the deceased suspect's name until next of kin are notified. The surviving suspect's name is not going to be disclosed until potential arraignment on criminal charges. 

Shoreline homeowner shoots, kills armed intruder

by KOMO Staff

SHORELINE, Wash. -- A Shoreline man shot and killed one of two men who broke into his home early Saturday, the King County Sheriff's Office said.

Police responded after 7 a,m. to the 14500 block of Whitman Avenue North. Officers found a wounded man who the resident of the home said was one of two men who had kicked in the front door of his home and entered it.

The resident told police that at least one of the intruders had a gun. The Shoreline man shot one intruder, and the other ran away.

Paramedic couldn't resuscitate the man who was shot. He was pronounced dead.

The Sheriff's Office is investigating and says it will not have more information on this case until at least Monday.

Gun owner breaks up AutoZone robbery in Jersey Village

By Brooke A. Lewis

Three suspects held store employees at gunpoint at an AutoZone in Jersey Village on Friday night. 

Around 9 p.m., three men went into the store located at 9461 Jones and demanded cash from the register while holding guns, according to Harris County Sheriff deputies. 

A customer saw the incident occurring as they drove up to the store and decided to step in to help. The customer, who has a concealed handgun license, pulled his gun and made the three suspects get on the ground.

The three suspects laid on the ground until deputies arrived and were arrested. 

While deputies said they appreciate the customer for stepping in, they advise others against pulling out a gun because the incident could've ended with someone else getting shot. 

No further information was identified about the suspects or the customer.


Man Shot Dead After Trying To Rob Gun Owner Identified As Treamel Gray, 23

By Kelly Bauer

CHICAGO — A man with a concealed-carry license shot and killed an armed robber Wednesday night in Grand Boulevard, police said.

At 8:20 p.m., the man was sitting in a car with another man in the 4300 block of South State Street when two men with guns walked up and tried to rob them, said Officer Ana Pacheco, a Chicago Police spokeswoman.

One of the men in the car, 32, fired his gun, hitting one of the robbers, Pacheco said.

Treamel Gray, 23, one of the alleged robbers, was shot in his head. Gray, of south suburban Flossmoor, was pronounced dead at the scene. He was identified Friday by the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.

The other robber ran away.

The 32-year-old man had a valid concealed-carry license, Pacheco said.



Wal-Mart employee fatally shoots armed robber in Sunrise

SUNRISE, FLA. (WSVN) - Sunrise Police are investigating after, they said, a man shot and killed a subject in self-defense who tried to rob him in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart.

It all happened around 3:30 a.m., Wednesday morning, at a Wal-Mart located, at 3306 N. University Dr., in Sunrise.

According to officials, the man, who friends and family have identified as 28-year-old Wal-Mart employee Ervin Jones, fatally shot the subject.

Jones was sitting in his Nissan Maxima car, waiting for his 4 a.m. shift to begin, according to co-workers, when a man with a gun walked up to him. “Somebody tried to rob him, and I guess he just defended himself,” said a co-worker.

The victim, who has a concealed weapons permit, pulled out his gun and opened fire during the encounter. The subject was pronounced dead on the scene

Another co-worker, who asked to remain anonymous, described what he witnessed. “The boy came up to him. He showed him, he said, ‘You know what this is, right? Give me everything,’ so he just opened fire on him right then and there. He was shocked. I think he was just shocked that he just killed.”

“One of my co-workers was waiting in his car, to clock in, and somebody tried to rob him,” said another Wal-Mart employee. “I guess he’s just pretty much defending himself. He’s a pretty mellow guy. If you ever get to meet him and talk to him, you wouldn’t even expect him to be able to defend himself like that because he’s very quiet, friendly.”

After the incident, Jones ran inside of the Wal-Mart to get help.

Jones has only worked at Wal-Mart for a couple of months, according to relatives. His sister said when her family first heard of the incident, they thought it was Jones who had been shot and killed.

“They said it was the other person, but when I woke up and heard about it, I was crying because, I mean, my brother is all I got and my kids,” said Natshia Jones. “But I’m sorry to hear what happened to the victim, but my brother work hard, he work hard to take care of him and his child.”

Jones added that her entire family has concealed weapons permits.

7Skyforce flew over the scene, where investigators could be seen combing for clues around a white car covered with a blue tarp.

“There’s just too much going on,” said nearby resident, Brigitte. “It’s wonderful that he could protect himself, otherwise he’d be the one behind the tarp.”

7News spoke with a woman who shops at the Wal-Mart on University regularly but said because of the shooting, she will not be going back. “I come here all the time. I shop here, like daily, you know, on a daily basis sometimes, and it’s crazy because that’s the time I normally would grocery shop, three or four o’clock in the morning, and that’s when this happened,” she said. “I won’t be coming no more.”

A hazardous waste company is cleaning up the area where the shooting occurred, Wednesday evening.

Sunrise Police are still investigating and have not yet released the name of the subject.


    Permit-to-Carry Holder Pulls Gun to Fend Off Attacker

    By Lee Voss October 11, 2016 10:34 AM

    ST. CLOUD — A man who allegedly tried to attack a couple outside the St. Cloud Walmart store last week got more than he bargained for. It turns out the husband has a permit to carry, and used his gun to thwart off the attacker.

    According to the criminal complaint, the couple was walking to their car just before midnight last Wednesday when a man dragging a baseball bat approached them. He asked the couple if they’ve “ever been hit in the head with a bat?”. The couple thought the man was joking and continued walking.

    The husband heard the suspect take a deep breath when he turned around to find the suspect raising the bat as if to hit them. The man pulled out his gun and ordered the man to drop the bat.

    Thirty-year-old Phillip Keys dropped the bat and told the man to shoot him before fleeing the scene.

    Police later located Keys and arrested him.

    Keys denied being at the store, saying he was drinking at a nearby bar all night. However, the couple positively identified Keys as the attacker and video surveillance shows the incident.

    Keys is jailed on suspicion of 2nd degree assault.



Man carjacks women in Walmart parking lot; Woman fires gunshot at him, police say


Police say the man wanted for a robbery and carjacking at a Dauphin County Walmart has turned himself in.

Swatara Township Police say the suspect, 45-year-old Michael Ortiz, attempted to commit a theft inside the store and was in the process of running away when he got into a vehicle in the parking lot. He turned himself in on Saturday.

Two women were inside the car and he threatened the driver by saying he had something that would give her HIV, then demanded to be driven away from the store, according to police.

Police say the driver followed Ortiz' orders and drove out of the parking lot. When she stopped at a red light on Grayson Road, a female passenger got out of the car, pulled out a handgun and demanded that Ortiz get out of the car. 

According to the police report, he then got out of the car and tried to grab the gun out of her hands. The gun went off at least once and Ortiz ran from the scene.

Both female victims were unharmed. They returned to Walmart to wait for police.

Authorities say the woman was in legal possession of the gun and had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Ortiz is charged with robbery of a motor vehicle, kidnapping, and other offenses.



  • Man who took down Minnesota mall stabber is concealed carry permit instructor
  • By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Monday, September 19, 2016
  • The off-duty police officer who fatally shot the man who had stabbed nine people in a Minnesota mall Saturday is a firearms training expert.
  • Jason Falconer, president and owner of the Tactical Advantage firearms training facility, fatally shot the attacker at the Crossroads Center mall in St. Cloud.
  • Officer Falconer is a part-time officer with the Avon Police Department and the former police chief of Albany, Minnesota, who happened to be in the “right place at the right time” during the attack, according to St. Cloud Mayor Dave Kleis. Officer Falconer fired his gun after the suspect lunged at him, the mayor said on CNN.
  • “Not only did he fire, the suspect went down, came back up on three different occasions,” Mr. Kleis said. “He protected others from being injured and potentially loss of life. Clearly, a hero.”
  • Officials said Monday that the stabbings appeared to be the work of a “lone attacker,” and federal authorities are investigating whether it was a terrorist act inspired or directed by the Islamic State.
  • “We haven’t uncovered anything that would suggest other than a lone attacker at this point,” St. Cloud Police Chief Blair Anderson said at a news conference with Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton. “If that changes, we will be transparent about that.”
  • Sevier County homeowner holds robbery suspect at gunpoint
  • WATE 6 On Your Side staff
  • SEVIERVILLE (WATE) – A suspect in a home invasion is in custody thanks to a homeowner in Sevier County.
  • The Sevier County Sheriff’s Office said Darrick C. Whaley, 23, was charged with aggravated assault, especially aggravated burglary, unlawful possession of a weapon by a convicted felon, gun possession during a violent felony and narcotic possession. Officers said when they arrived at 833 Douglas Dam Road, the homeowner was holding Whaley at gunpoint.
  • The sheriff’s office said the homeowners called at 5:50 a.m., saying someone had kicked open the door to their home and came in with a handgun. Investigators said a man and woman were asleep in the upstairs bedroom when they heard a noise.
  • Deputies said the man armed himself and held Whaley at gunpoint until the sheriff’s office could arrive. Deputies said Whaley was also armed with a handgun and pointed the weapon at the homeowner during the confrontation, saying someone was after him.
  • The homeowner told Whaley not to come upstairs, according to the sheriff’s office. Deputies said the homeowner held Whaley at gunpoint until deputies were able to arrive.
  • Whaley was found with meth and a syringe. He is being held at the Sevier County jail.
  • Olive Hill homeowner shoots, kills would-be robber; three arrested
  • By Janet Patton
  • A Carter County homeowner shot and killed an apparent would-be robber Saturday morning, according to Kentucky State Police.
  • About 8:18 a.m. Saturday, four armed people forced their way into the home at 123 Clark Hollow in Olive Hill and took an undisclosed amount of cash, according to state police. Several people, including children, were in the home at the time but no one was injured.
  • During the robbery, according to state police, an altercation occurred between the homeowner and one of the robbery suspects. Kevin J. Helton, 48, of Salt Lick, was shot and killed at the scene, according to police.
  • Two other suspects, Cindy Puckett, 41, of Morehead and Jonathan Goodan, 45, of Olive Hill, ran from the scene but were caught; a third, Brittany Crouch, 28, of Frenchburg, was arrested at the scene, police said. Puckett, Goodan and Crouch have been charged with first-degree robbery; they are in the Carter County Detention Center.
  • Kentucky State Police are investigating; an autopsy of Helton was scheduled for Sunday.
  • Subway Employee Lets a Pair of Violent Robbers Have it Their Way
  • by Jenn Jacques
  • A Subway restaurant clerk in Augusta, GA was forced to let a pair of violent robbers ‘have it their way’ after one of the men assaulted her 14-year-old son with a crowbar.
  • Two men, identified by law enforcement as Cornelius Lamar Harrison, 24, and Howard Maurice Harris, 25, broke into the Subway on the 1600 Block of Gordon Highway intent on robbing the popular fast food chain at approximately 12:30 Sunday afternoon.
  • Richmond County deputies said the two men were armed with crowbars and witnesses said one of the suspects used his weapon to strike a 14-year-old boy in the head, injuring the young man.
  • That boy’s mother happened to be one of the employees working behind the counter Sunday and this lady was packing more than lunch meat.
  • Deputies said the woman drew her handgun and fired shots at both of the men, leaving Harrison dead in the store and sending Harris running from the building.
  • “It’s sad for someone to intimidate somebody with robbery or whatever, but things like this do happen in the world we live in,” said local business owner Robert “Flash” Gordan. “You basically have to be prepared for anything in today’s world. I think most folks have some kind of protection. Why shouldn’t she?”
  • Harris was apprehended the next day when police responded to a call of a suspicious person at the Courtyard Marriott on Stevens Creek Road. Authorities said he was taken to a nearby hospital for a possible medical episode and had a small quantity of methamphetamine on him. The Sheriff’s Office said Harris told police his name was ‘Brandon Simmons’ but was positively identified as Howard Maurice Harris when deputies ran his fingerprints.
  • The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office says Harris is accused of felony possession of methamphetamine, aggravated assault and felony murder.
  • Homeowner will not be charged for shooting burglar
  • WCNC
  • UNION COUNTY, N.C. -- A teen was fatally shot by a homeowner overnight in Union County. 
  • The Union County Sheriff's Office says 17-year-old Marquies Waters was shot by a homeowner who resides on Happy Hollow Lane in Mineral Springs just before 4 a.m. Monday.
  • According to authorities, the homeowner, who is wheelchair-bound, shot a burglary suspect who had allegedly broken into the home moments earlier and was possibly returning to retrieve items left behind. 
  • The Sheriff's Office says Waters and at least one other suspect broke into the man's home, awakening the homeowner. The homeowner began to yell at the suspects, who then broke a window to escape the home. 
  • A short time later, the Sheriff's Office says the suspects returned to possibly retrieve a book bag that had been left behind; that's when the homeowner fired shots at Waters, who was on the back porch. Waters was not armed. 
  • The Sheriff's Office says the deceased was acquainted with the homeowner. 
  • Tuesday, the Sheriff's Office said they'd arrested two people they believe broke into the victim's home alongside Waters. Jacob Alexander Maye and Tristen Malyk Deese are each charged with first-degree burglary and felony conspiracy. 
  • The homeowner will not be charged. 
  • Teen shoots burglar in leg with shotgun
  • MYRTLE POINT, Ore. – A teenager used a shotgun to shoot a burglar in his home Wednesday morning, according to the Coos County District Attorney.
  • The DA says police received a report of an attempted burglary on Spruce Street at 8:21 a.m.
  • Officials say the burglar entered the house while a 15-year-old was home.
  • The burglar began looking for property to steal while the teen found a shotgun inside the residence.
  • The teen was in fear of his safety and shot the burglar in the leg with the shotgun.
  • Police and medical personnel responded to the scene.
  • Police identified the burglar as 33-year-old Myrtle Point resident Kenneth John Edwards III.
  • He was transported to Coquille Valley Hospital and eventually transferred to Riverbend Hospital in Springfield for treatment. The DA says the injury is serious, but not life-threatening.
  • The DA concluded that the shooting was a justifiable use of force.
  • Any charges against Edwards will be referred to the Coos County Grand Jury.
  • 17-year-old girl grabs gun when man tries to break into Franklin Township home
  • FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, Ind. – A 17-year-old girl in Franklin Township is safe after a scary brush with a burglar at her family’s home on Knapp Road Wednesday.
  • Faith Shilkett was home alone around 2 p.m., when her dog Duke started barking. She walked out of her room and saw a man knocking on the front door.
  • “He was big. He was muscular. He looked like he could do damage if he got a hold of you,” said the teen. “I was scared if he got in, he could’ve hurt me.”
  • Faith then took off through the house to lock the other doors. When she did that, she got a glimpse of the man at a deck door. She says the man then went to the garage door and jiggled the handle, trying to get in, and even peered in the window. Faith then ran to her mom’s room and pulled out a gun.
  • “I stayed back here and I started yelling ‘I’m here. I have a gun. I’m going to shoot,’” she said.
  • Faith called for help and waited. She said she heard rustling in the garage and the man took off in a white van.
  • “Your child is your life. I couldn’t even think straight,” said Faith’s mother, Amy Shilkett, who had just left for the store. “All I was thinking is ‘how quickly can I get here?’”
  • Amy raced home, where she found metro police had already arrived.
  • The family says the man got away with a generator, a power washer, and other tools from the garage.
  • “Items can be replaced, but obviously your daughter can’t be. That was my biggest worry,” said Amy.
  • Amy is thankful that the man didn’t make it inside. She's reminding other families to make sure all doors are locked on their home at all times. In this case, the garage door was open and perhaps a target for the suspected thief.
  • “Everybody be a little bit more cautious and do the best they can to keep their kids safe,” said Amy.
  • Faith says the man was roughly six feet tall, white, and had brown hair. According to a police report, IMPD were not immediately able to locate him or the getaway vehicle.
  • Victim fights back during attempted armed robbery, shooting one suspect
  • Benton Harbor, Mich. -- An armed robbery, turned shooting took an interesting turn Wednesday when the victim pulled his own weapon on the perpetrators.
  • It happened around 4 p.m. on the west side of Harbor Towers, a residential building in the 200-block of East Wall Street.
  • Just down the street from the Benton Harbor Police Department, two men lured their victim to the side of the building in broad daylight.
  • “Upon arrival, through investigations, it was determined an armed robbery had gone bad,” said Detective Jason Bailey, Michigan State Police.
  • Police say the suspects demanded money but the victim refused.
  • “The victim was struck with one bullet, caliber size…we don't know; it entered his cheek and is still within him,” said Bailey.
  • That's when the victim turned the tables on his perpetrators.
  • “In the process of being robbed, the victim had withdrawn his own weapon and fired, in return striking one subject in the face area,” said Bailey.
  • The other suspect fled the scene, later to be found and arrested by police.
  • During questioning he confessed to the attempted robbery, and is being held in Berrien County Jail.
  • Detective Jason Bailey says it's not every day “that a victim of an armed robbery produces his own weapon and is able to fire back.”
  • But it wasn't the only robbery that happened Wednesday.
  • Around 10 p.m., another Benton Harbor resident was walking through the area.
  • “A black minivan pulled up as I was walking across the parking lot. And then four guys got out, masks on. Three of them had hand guns,” said ‘Cage,’ robbed Wednesday night.
  • He says they pushed him to the ground and went through his pockets, stealing $375 dollars.
  • “That was my rent money,” said Cage.
  • Cage says they took it, and drove off.
  • “Only good part about it...I didn't get shot,” said Cage.
  • He filed a police report Thursday afternoon.
  • It remains unclear whether these two incidents are related.
  • Police say until the suspects involved in the shooting are arraigned in court, their names will not be released.
  • Charges will be determined by the prosecutor. Although you could argue the victim was acting in self-defense, Detective Bailey says that too will be up to the prosecutor's office.
  • Police say the victim is waiting on a surgery to have the bullet from his cheek removed.
  • Meantime, the suspect who was shot remains at the hospital, but police say will be released soon, and is expected to be arrested thereafter.
  • Glendale Police: Man shot while reportedly robbing woman
  • GLENDALE, Ariz. (KSAZ) - Glendale police say preliminary results of their investigation of a shooting support accounts by a woman and other witnesses that the woman fatally shot a man who was attempting to rob her at gunpoint.
  • Police say 23-year-old Carol Miracle fatally shot 27-year-old Frank Taylor early Monday morning near a convenience store in the area of 59th Avenue and Camelback Road.
  • According to police, Miracle and other witnesses said Taylor had pointed a gun at Miracle's head during the attempted robbery and that she then drew her own handgun from a hip holster and shot him once.
  • Construction worker holds would-be truck thief at gunpoint
  • Woman allegedly tried to steal construction worker's Ford F-250
  • ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. —An Albuquerque woman is facing a number of charges after she destroyed a man's yard while trying to steal his truck, authorities said.
  • Shantelle Vierra, 25, is now facing charges of aggravated assault, receiving and transferring a motor vehicle, conspiracy and criminal damage to property.
  • Deputies with the Bernalillo County Sheriff's Office said Eloi Saucedo, 61, found Vierra trying to drive away in his Ford F-250 early Saturday.


  • Teen shoots burglar in leg with shotgun
  • MYRTLE POINT, Ore. – A teenager used a shotgun to shoot a burglar in his home Wednesday morning, according to the Coos County District Attorney.
  • The DA says police received a report of an attempted burglary on Spruce Street at 8:21 a.m.
  • Officials say the burglar entered the house while a 15-year-old was home.


80-Year-Old Scares Off Robber Who Wore Scream Mask

Camden, SC (WLTX) - Camden police say the 80-year-old owner of a laundromat in Camden was able to scare off a robber wearing a Halloween mask by firing his gun.

The great-grandfather says he was sitting in his store Wednesday afternoon when the suspect entered the store. An incident report states the robber was wearing a mask from the movie "Scream" and all black. 

Police say the suspect. who was armed with a gun, demanded a cash box. The owner said the suspect could take the box, which he did, and ran out of the store.

However, the owner followed picked up his .25 pistol, followed the suspect out of the store, and fired one round into the air. That started the suspect, who dropped the box and ran into a nearby vehicle, which then left the scene.

The car is described as a pea green Nissan or Toyota.

Anyone with information should call Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC, or e-mail a tip in to You can also text information in by texting "TIPSC" plus your message to CRIMES (274637). Either way you choose, your identity will remain anonymous, and you could be eligible for a cash reward.



Three suspects held store employees at gunpoint at an AutoZone in Jersey Village on Friday night. 
Around 9 p.m., three men went into the store located at 9461 Jones and demanded cash from the register while holding guns, according to Harris County Sheriff deputies. 
A customer saw the incident occurring as they drove up to the store and decided to step in to help. The customer, who has a concealed handgun license, pulled his gun and made the three suspects get on the ground.

The three suspects laid on the ground until deputies arrived and were arrested. 
While deputies said they appreciate the customer for stepping in, they advise others against pulling out a gun because the incident could've ended with someone else getting shot. 
No further information was identified about the suspects or the customer.


The Armed Citizen® July 18, 2016

A West Virginia man was savvy enough to suspect that a young woman who knocked on his door and asked to use the phone might be up to no good. So before he opened the door, he armed himself. He was right. As soon as the door was ajar, two male suspects also hustled into the home. They threatened the resident and demanded that he hand over his valuables. The elderly homeowner instead pulled out a gun and fired multiple times, hitting each of the male intruders. The female accomplice escaped the fray. One of the shooting victims was pronounced dead at the scene. The other was treated for his wounds. He and the woman now faces charges. (, Fairmont, WV, 4/19/16)


A Louisville, Ky., woman was walking to her vehicle in a parking garage when she was accosted by a strange man. The robber approached her, brandished a knife and told her to “Give me everything you have.” In response, the woman pulled her gun and shot him one time. Once the threat was over, the armed citizen called the police. The robber was taken to a nearby hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. (, Louisville, KY, 1/27/16)


Instilling a respect for the principle of self-defense in her son is one reason why an 88-year-old Chicago woman survived a break-in. The elderly mother was awakened one night by the sound of a gunshot. Fortunately, it had come from her son, who fended off someone who was trying to enter the house through a window. Keeping guns around for self-defense is a practice the elderly woman has followed since her husband was shot and killed during a home invasion more than 50 years ago. “My son said he wasn’t going to let that somebody come in that window. He knew those boys came in the house and killed his father. He wasn’t going to let somebody come in the house and kill me,” the mother told television reporters after the incident. The suspect was taken to a hospital and treated for his injuries. (, Chicago, IL, 3/28/16)



Two Oklahoma City, Okla., men attempted to break into a second-floor apartment with deadly consequences. When two men he didn’t recognize knocked on his door, the apartment’s resident chose not to answer it. Thinking the occupant was out, the two burglars then started kicking the front door down. When they finally got through the door, the resident was ready for them; having retrieved his gun from a back room, the armed citizen fired on the duo. One of the intruders was struck and would die at the scene, the other fled and is still being sought by the authorities. (, Oklahoma City, OK, 1/25/16)


Shots rang out in a suburb of Pittsburgh when a homeowner protected his property from four juveniles who were breaking into the home. The boys were trying to enter the home through a window that housed an air conditioner. The armed citizen grabbed his .380 ACP handgun and confronted the intruders. He fired multiple shots, wounding two of the teens. All four of the suspects fled. One of the wounded was found on a nearby bridge; the second was found at a relative’s house. The two uninjured accomplices were also caught. All have been charged and placed in a juvenile detention facility. Officials said the homeowner was within his rights to defend his home. (Tribune-Review, Pittsburgh, PA, 3/23/16)


Citizen assists with arrest of man trying to rob Home Depot

By Brooke Self

AMARILLO, Texas (KVII) — One man was arrested and police are searching for a second suspect after a robbery at Home Depot.

Amarillo police said officers were sent to the Home Depot at 2500 S. Soncy on a robbery around 12:45 p.m. on Saturday.

According to police, the suspect, 35-year-old Ricky Solis, had taken power tools from the store and left without paying.

Police said a loss prevention officer made contact with Solis in the parking lot and he tried to flee. However, the loss prevention officer was able to catch him and the two became involved in a struggle.

During the struggle, police said a second suspect went up to the two men who were involved in the struggle and tired to help Solis get away. The second suspect kicked the loss prevention officer in the face. He then went back to his vehicle and pulled out a tire iron.

A citizen who saw what was going on then pulled out a handgun and told the suspects to get on the ground. The second suspect ran back to his vehicle and fled the scene. The citizen continued to point his gun at Solis and told him to get on the ground.

APD said the loss prevention officer was then able to handcuff Solis until APD officers arrived.

Police said Solis was arrested for Robbery and booked into the Potter County jail.

The loss prevention officer did sustain minor injuries to his face but did not require medical attention, police said. The merchandise was returned to the store.

Anyone with information on the second suspect is asked to call the APD or Amarillo Crime Stoppers at (806)374-440. Online tips can be submitted by clicking here.


Deputies: Neighbor catches burglar in the act, held him at gunpoint

By Dal Kalsi 

COWPENS, SC (FOX Carolina) -

Spartanburg County deputies said a burglary suspect was arrested after neighbors discovered him leaving the scene and held him at gunpoint until deputies arrived at the scene.

Deputies said they were called to a home on Double Branch Road in Cowpens shortly after 5 p.m. Monday.

Deputies arrived to find Jimmy Rhodes on his knees on the back porch with the homeowner pointing a gun at him.

Rhodes was placed in handcuffs while deputies investigated.

The neighbor told deputies he investigated when he heard the dog next door barking excessively and found the moped and damaged door. The suspect came out of the house after the neighbor called the homeowner, and he ordered the man to get down while he then called deputies.

Deputies said they found a screw driver on Rhodes’ person and saw tool marks near the latch of the back door.

The phone line to the house had been cut and deputies said the master bedroom was in disarray with items strewn across the room.

Rhodes was charged with burglary second degree, petit larceny, and possession of tools used in a crime.

Read more:


Homeowner shoots suspect in the face after attempted home invasion

By Antonio Castelan

A South Las Vegas homeowner ended up shooting a man trying to get through the family doggie door. Witnesses say the man was on a home invasion rampage before he was shot in the face.

The attempted home invasion occurred in a residential neighborhood near Cactus Avenue and Las Vegas Boulevard.

Nicole Slokken says the intruder banged on her door before he was shot. She remembers getting a call from a neighbor about the suspect hitting her door.

"She said, 'Are you ok? Are you ok? Someone is trying to kick down your door.' I said, 'Oh my gosh!'" said Slokken.

Slokken will never forget the night her neighbor called her. She tells us right after midnight Friday a man went on a home invasion rampage on her street.

"Break in the door kicking it and trying to break it down," said Slokken.

The man was not successful in getting through the front door, so neighbors say he went to a home next to Slokken's.

Witnesses say the man armed with a 12-inch knife tried getting through the doggie door. The homeowner ended up shooting the man in the face.

"I think it was very brave," said Slokken. "I'm glad he did it. It made me feel better -- that he's armed."

The home invader was taken to the hospital. We are told he has now recovered and is in jail.

Slokken found the suspect's cell phone outside her house.

Neighbors say the man tried forcefully entering at least three homes on the street. The brash break in has people at this South Las Vegas community concerned.

Caroline Galanza lives in the neighborhood.

"It was really, really scary," said Galanza. "I kept on thinking 'I can't eat,' the following day. I'm 77-years old."

Slokken believes the outcome would've been different if her neighbor had not called her with a heads up and if her next door neighbor did not shoot the suspect.

"The detective told me the neighbor very well could have saved our lives," said Slokken.


Worker who pulled gun to stop stabbing attack at GM Tech Center says he was fired

WARREN, Mich. (WJBK) - A valet attendant who intervened in a stabbing at the General Motors Technical Center in Warren on Wednesday says he has been fired.

Didarul Sarder, an SP+ Valet Supervisor, was heading into work that morning when he heard the cry for help.

"The lady kept saying 'I'm dying, someone help' and it was just natural reaction," says Sarder. "I just see this lady getting stabbed. I only had like half a second to think and I unholstered my firearm and pointed it at her to drop the knife."

The stabbing happened right outside the main entrance of the central office building. Warren police say the suspect, a 32-year-old woman, came to see the employee. They argued in the lobby then went outside where the suspect pulled a knife, stabbing her multiple times in the neck, back and abdomen. The suspect has since been identified as the daughter of the victim.

Sarder says he told the woman to stay put until she was arrested by police.

FOX 2: "You probably saved this woman's life."

"I hope so, I hope she makes it," Sarder says. "Maybe those few seconds before the police arrived could be the difference between life and death."

The victim, identified as Stephanie Kerr, is in critical condition, and is lucky the stabbing didn't continue any longer, according to city officials. All of which is why Sarder says he was surprised to have been fired on the spot by a GM employee and then escorted off the property.

"He said, 'You shouldn't have had a firearm here. After this is done he needs to be escorted off the property. He's not welcome back here.' I was really bummed out. I got a little emotional," he says.

Sarder, who has a valid CPL, works for a company contracted by GM. He says he started working on the grounds in December and was never informed of a no-gun policy.

GM officials, however, deny firing Sarder and say in a statement, "Because this is an ongoing investigation we cannot comment. However, we can say GM has not requested the valet be dismissed.To our knowledge the valet remains an employee of the vendor."

Police and Mayor of Warren Jim Fouts say Sarder is a hero who should be honored.

"Had it not been for his quick action and quick thinking, pulling out his concealed weapon, she might have been murdered on site," Fouts said.

Sarder has no regrets.

"I would do it all over again," he said. "If I could save this woman's life over a job. I can get another job."


    Kokomo woman thwarts armed robbery by showing suspect her gun

    KOKOMO, Ind. – Police arrested an armed robbery suspect after they say he attempted to rob a woman at gunpoint.

    The incident occurred in the 2200 block of North Buckeye on May 12 around 5:45 a.m. A female told police that she was walking to her residence when she was confronted by a man standing by her entry door. She said the man displayed a gun, and he threatened her and demanded her money. That’s when she said she pulled out her own gun, and the suspect ran away.

    Additionally, around the same time police responded to a report of a resident confronting an armed suspect in his home in the 2500 block of North Armstrong. The victim told police the suspect pointed a firearm at him and fled the scene on foot.

    Kokomo police located a man matching the suspect’s description in the area. The suspect was taken back to the scene, and he was positively identified. Officers say they found a stolen handgun where they located him, and during their investigation, they found stolen property from the residence on North Armstrong.

    The suspect was identified as Jaylin Bolden, 19, of Kokomo. He was arrested and charged with burglary while armed with a deadly weapon, attempted robbery, two counts of pointing a firearm, possession of stolen property, and two counts of cruelty to animals.

    Bolden is a person of interest in additional home invasions and assault investigations in the Kokomo area.

    Anyone with additional information is asked to call Detective Scott Purtee at 765-456-7322, or the KPD hotline at 765-456-7017. You may qualify for a cash reward by reporting your anonymous tip to Central Indiana Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.


The Armed Citizen® July 8, 2016

Bad guys who think that the elderly and disabled make an easy target better think twice. An elderly man in Missouri, who relies on an oxygen tank, got the better of two ruffians who broke into his home as part of an attempt to steal the man’s prescription drugs. The armed citizen was acquainted with one of the would-be thieves, police said, but apparently the bad guy didn’t know him well enough to know that he kept a gun for defensive purposes. The two men approached the door and knocked. Since the homeowner recognized one of them, he opened the door. The suspects, one of whom had a mask over his face, bulled themselves in, pushed the resident aside and started to rifle through his belongings. The citizen grabbed his gun and shot one intruder in the abdomen. (, Park Hills, MO, 4/1/16)


    The Armed Citizen® July 11, 2016

    Police officers responding to a report of gunshots in Georgia learned that a disabled veteran used his Smith & Wesson M&P to save his life. The man said he was awakened early in the morning when two men, claiming to be police, tried to break into his mobile home. When he checked a video surveillance device, though, the resident had a good idea that they were not police officers. The two armed thugs allegedly fired at the homeowner first, who fired back. No one was injured, but the bullet holes that pock-marked the man’s trailer were visible for the real police to see. “My gun saved my life,” the man told reporters afterward. (WTOC, Savannah, GA, 3/30/16)



A San Antonio man was fortunate to have his gun with him when he became the victim of an attempted carjacking. The man and his passenger were stopped at a red light around midnight when a vehicle pulled up beside them. A thug with a gun then got out of the automobile, attempted to pull the driver from his car and, when he encountered resistance, fired twice at the victim. This prompted the armed citizen to draw his own handgun and return fire at his assailant. The suspect then fled back into his vehicle and sped away, however, he showed up at a local hospital a short time later with two gunshot wounds to the arm. The wounded carjacker now faces aggravated robbery charges after he was positively identified by the victim, who did not suffer any injuries during the altercation.  (San Antonio Express-News, San Antonio, TX, 1/3/16)


Wheelchair-bound veteran shoots, kills intruder

A wheelchair-bound Vietnam veteran fatally shot a man who forced his way into the veteran’s residence, authorities said.

Eddie Frank Smith, 69, was at home in Monticello about 9 p.m. Thursday when Andre Smith, 22, (no known relation), forced his way into Eddie Frank Smith’s home through a rear door, according to a media release from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, or GBI.

When Eddie Frank Smith went to investigate, Andre Smith lunged toward the resident. Eddie Frank Smith shot the intruder once in the chest, according to the GBI.

The intruder ran away and collapsed about 100 yards from the residence. Both Eddie Frank Smith and neighbors called 911. Andre Smith later died at Jasper Memorial Hospital.

An autopsy was performed on Andre Smith at the GBI crime lab in Decatur. The investigation continues, and results will be turned over to the Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Office for review, according to the GBI.

by: Steve Burns, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution




    Walmart customers hold suspected purse thief at gunpoint

    WICHITA, Kan. A gun was drawn Monday afternoon at a southeast Wichita Walmart as customers chased down a suspected thief.


    Wichita police say a woman was loading groceries into her car in the parking lot of the store near Kellogg and Greenwich when a man walked by, snatched her purse out of the front of her cart and ran off.

    Other customers who witnessed the purse-snatching chased the man. One customer, carrying a firearm, caught the man and held him at gunpoint until police arrived. The man was arrested for the theft.

    The woman whose purse was taken by the man said she was appreciative of the assistance from the customers who helped her catch the suspected thief.

    A 44-year-old man walked into a Tipp City, Ohio, restaurant and handed the hostess a note demanding money.

The employee complied, and as the robber was leaving the building, a concealed-carry instructor witnessed the crime and confronted the thief.

 The suspect attempted to leave the scene in a vehicle, but the armed citizen held him at gunpoint until the authorities could arrive.

The culprit now faces one count of aggravated robbery. No injuries were reported. (Troy Daily News, Troy, OH, 11/28/15)


The Armed Citizen® April 29, 2016

Gut feelings paid off for a 65-year-old New Hampshire woman who ended up shooting a man who tried to mug her.

 The unidentified grandmother said that she got a “funny feeling” when she pulled out of a gas station parking lot after a late night at work and noticed a dark sedan following her. As she walked from her car to her apartment, she said she saw a man getting out of that same car.

 With that, she reached into her purse and got her hand around her legally owned handgun. The suspected mugger accosted her, and when he went to grab her, she pulled out her gun and shot him.

He was taken to a hospital and treated for the wound. The police are investigating the case. (New Hampshire Union Leader, Manchester, NH, 1/5/16)


Mother shoots attempted break-in suspect who entered through baby’s window

by Matt Adams - Web Producer and James Gherardi

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (March 24, 2016) – A homeowner shot an intruder who tried to break into her Indianapolis home Thursday afternoon.

According to police dispatchers, officers received the call around 12:10 p.m. from a home in the 3200 block of West Banta Road. Family members told CBS4 that an infant was in the home when it happened. A mother heard the burglar get into the home through a window and then took out her pistol.

“She heard the window get busted and she called her husband and said I think somebody’s breaking in the house,” said Edsel Ballard, the woman’s father.

“He broke in through the baby’s window, ok, and when he was coming out the door, my sister was coming out her bedroom door, he aimed and shot at her first and then she shot him,” said Eddie Ballard, the woman’s brother

The woman exchanged gunfire with the burglar, family members said, and the intruder was hit multiple times. He was taken to an Indianapolis hospital, police said. Dispatchers said the intruder was also carrying zip ties and a walkie-talkie.

The infant was not hurt during the incident.

“This shooting is very unusual in this area of our district,” said IMPD Southwest District Commander Mike Spears.

Spears said incidents like this, in this section of the city are very rare. This portion of his district he said is quiet and is mostly residential.

“When we have an incident like this as we do throughout the city, involving the use of a firearm, it’s something we take very personally and we want to get in front of and investigate aggressively,” said Spears.


Police: Would-be robber fatally shot during Uptown hold-up

Mitchell Armentrout  @mitchtrout | email

A man who was shot and killed while trying to rob two others in the Uptown neighborhood late Thursday has been identified.

Two 23-year-old men were unloading a vehicle in an alley in the 1000 block of West Winona about 10:30 p.m. when a 28-year-old man walked up and demanded their things, according to Chicago Police.

One of the younger men handed over his cellphone and wallet, but when the robber said he was taking the car, the other 23-year-old pulled out a gun and shot him multiple times, police said.

William C. George, 28, was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 2:59 a.m. Friday, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. George lived in the 7700 block of South Lowe.

Police said he had been on parole for a past armed robbery conviction.

An autopsy found George died of multiple gunshot wounds and his death was ruled a homicide, according to the medical examiner’s office.

The shooter was licensed to have the weapon and was not charged, police said.



Armed robbers surrender after Cleveland deli worker draws gun

Ryllie Danylko, cleveland.comThe Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A man working at a West Side Cleveland deli turned the tables on two armed robbers Wednesday night when he drew his own weapon and forced the robbers to surrender.

Two men were arrested following the incident at Suleyman's Supermarket on the 3100 block of Marvin Avenue, police said. The suspects, a 19-year-old Parma man and an 18-year-old Cleveland man are in jail awaiting formal charges.

The deli owner, a 54-year-old North Olmsted man who asked to remain anonymous, said in an interview Thursday that if he wasn't armed, the robbers likely would have killed him and his friend.

"I was so panicked and scared," he said. "They would have killed both of us. What's going to stop them?"

The owner was manning the store about 9:45 p.m. and talking to a friend who was helping him run the shop, police reported. Two masked men burst into the pointing guns and demanded money.

A man walking by the store saw the two masked men enter the store with guns, reports show. He flagged down a passing police car.

Back inside the store, the owner emptied the register of about $300, police said. The robbers grabbed the cash and ran toward the front of the store.

The pair stopped when they saw an officer standing outside, the owner said. They turned around and ran toward the back of the store.

The man's friend grabbed a gun from behind the counter and ran after the robbers, reports show.

As one of the robbers entered the back room, the friend grabbed him slammed him into the wall, police said. The second robber hid in the bathroom.

The friend told police he tried to coax the robber out of the bathroom, saying "my gun is bigger than yours."

The robbers surrendered and begged the man not to shoot him, reports show. The friend ordered them to the ground and handed the owner his gun while he searched the robbers for weapons. He found a gun and a magazine in their pockets.

The friend then called 911, police reported. He told a dispatcher he was holding two armed robbers at gunpoint inside the store.

He eventually went outside to talk to the officers while the owner stayed inside with his gun trained on the robbers.

By this time, Cleveland police had called a SWAT team to handle the armed suspects, reports show.

The owner ordered the robbers to crawl out outside, where they were immediately arrested.

The suspects are expected to face charges of aggravated robbery.